8 February 2011

Spokes - Everyone I Ever Met


(My Rating: 3.5/5)
Listen Music Samples
Watch Live Video


If you are a football fan, I wonder how you will see on Torres’ recent surprise transfer from Liverpool to Chelsea. Another Judas for Liverpool fan or an exciting hopeful for Chelsea fan? It’s always hard to conclude as everything’s 2-sided……I think it’s a bit similar case for Spokes on this new album…..

Spokes are an alt-indie band based in Manchester, UK, brought together in 2006 in Preston. In 2007 they recorded their debut EP People Like People Like You and Everyone I Ever Met is their follow-up album with whole different story to their audiences……..

To make sure I don’t get things wrong, I decide to listen their debut EP People Like People Like You once more before I write on their new album…….the outcome is yes, I didn’t mix up anything, they play the typical post rock music in their debut EP, something like the early post rock stuffs of Explosions In The Sky with those long running subtle sad epic quiet-loud-quiet-loud structured post rock songs that you must have heard before if you like post rock music…..That’s why I was very surprised when I have first listening on this new album, just like everyone surprises on Torres’ recent transfer to Chelsea…...Spokes have completely changed the face of their music this time from a bunch of post rockers to an indie pop band……although the new album is still having their post-rock leaning guitar riff, eye-catching classical violin play, emotional choral vocals like their debut EP, songs are arranged to more pop structured, more short, more vocal based, more easy accessible, more sugar-coated mellow this time…....remind me of Broken Records or Arcade Fire…..

To be fair I will say it is a good indie pop album…….but if you ask “Is it good or bad for the band with changes like that?”….. I think only god knows the answer when a band abandon their originality and go straight to main stream for commercial success or whatever they think worthy.......good luck then!!       

No comments:

Post a Comment