2 February 2011

The Decemberists - The King Is Dead


















(My Rating: 3/5)
Listen Music Samples
Watch Live Video

The Decemberists are an indie folk rock band from Portland, Oregon, United States, fronted by singer/songwriter Colin Meloy. The other members of the band are Chris Funk (guitar, multi-instrumentalist), Jenny Conlee (hammond organ, accordion, melodica, piano, keyboards), Nate Query (bass guitar, string bass), and John Moen (drums, backing vocals, melodica). The King Is Dead is their sixth full-length album since their debut EP, 5 Songs, released in 2001 and also the band's third record from big label, Capitol Records.

For me, The Decemberists is so kitsch, but I like the band as they are literately being kitsch act and wholeheartedly play their warm, intimate, melodic, playful kitsch indie pop music for minority fan base with same innocent heart. Kitsch may not be always a negative stuff, at least for The Decemberists, it makes them unique and standout from others….. Their third album, Picaresque, is still my beloved record. However, since they change to big label Capitol, for me, everything of The Decemberists is not the same…I’m not blaming big music label, but bands like The Decemberists are such a fresh air when they are being indie and will become real kitsch when they are in big label due to too much market calculation and the will to being bold…..so, their last two albums from Capitol are real disaster for me especially last one The Hazards of Love. I just keep pressing to jump over the album’s songs in my IPOD….

So, I have a bit nameless fear on this new album. I see a funny comment from Tiny Mix Tapes as that “Putting on The King Is Dead, the new album by The Decemberists, is like walking into your favorite bar on a Tuesday evening and discovering that the management has decided to make it Irish night.“ Would it be same again? Bold and empty? The answer is Yes and also No. After pressing ‘Play’ button of my CD player, my feeling is ‘Wow, same again?!’ The first half of the album is still their recent big-label bold-structured empty-inside songs with new theme of country rock leaning this time. Honestly, I don’t like it. But after first half, the vibe of songs is suddenly steering back to their early years’ style…..intimate, faithful, gentle, little acoustic folk ballads in second half……a little consolation for a fan like me, but be frank couldn’t save the whole album at all!!! Quite a below-par album for The Decemberists!!      

 



No comments:

Post a Comment